Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:29:29 -0500
At 04:46 PM 1/28/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Like some other list owners I've made the switch from an American
>University gateway to Newsguy. Unfortunately, also like others, my repeated
>attempts to have the old gateway turned off are being ignored.
>
>The problem is that all posters to the newsgroup I'm gatewayed to are
>getting errant warning messages for each post regardless of how I configure
>my list.

The only real solution we have found here involves changing the address
(either the name or the node) of your list.  As it happened, we were doing
that anyway, because we were moving all our lists to a different system.
It was still inconvenient, because it is hard to get all the subscribers
to change right away, and if you set up any kind of automated forwarding or
bounce message (as we did for our other, non-gated lists) you have these
problems you described all over again.  So we have this one list where
if a subscriber sends to the old address it is not posted, and there is
-no- bounce to tell them why....  It all goes in a mailbox, and if they
are lucky, and we notice their message -didn't- come through American, and
they haven't done it too many times, they may get a note from the list
owner eventually.

Someone mentioned a filter.  I don't think that would work because the
messages are treated by Listserv as coming from the posters (which is
why -they- get the errors), not from American.  It would be very helpful
if one could filter based on a path (assuming the filter would quietly
swallow the message).

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University