Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:34:14 EST
>Well, that's certainly true, and I don't have a problem dealing with
>errors, but I don't think I need to be constantly told what the software is
>doing for me through its sending me "Renewal Monitoring Reports" or "Error
>Monitoring Reports" (or do I?).  What I think you're getting at that and
>that an owner does need to address are "Error Reports" generated by servers
>(mostly AOL) and sent on to owners when the Listserv software can't
>decipher them.

FWIW I've noticed a few AOL users getting autodeleted lately, so I'm
hoping this means AOL are slowly implementing a LISTSERV-friendly error
reporting system.

>What if I set filters to ignore "Renewal Monitoring Reports" and "Error
>Monitoring Reports" and then put "Error Reports" into a special mailbox.
>That, it seems to me, would have the added advantage of allowing an owner
>to look at the "Error Reports" mailbox and jump directly from error message
>to error message to see if there were patterns that needed to be addressed.

Maybe I don't understand the problem here; I get 20 of these a day and it
doesn't bother me to skim through them looking for problems (users who are
way over the cutoff point, meaning I'm going to have to delete them by
hand).  But that's me. :)

Indeed what I have is a set of filters in Eudora (I use a POP account for
most errors and grab them once a day) which put general errors into one
folder, Renewal Monitoring Reports into another folder, Error Monitoring
Reports into another folder, and trashes anything that looks like a transient
error or anything coming from CompuServe :)  I'm pretty much to the point
with 40-odd lists that I only really look at about 20-30 pieces of error
mail per day.

The reports you get--sure, you can trash them.  But it's LISTSERV's duty
to tell you what's going on so that you don't suddenly get asked "Why did
I get bounced from the list?" and then not be able to say authoritatively
"Well, because your host kept sending back 'user unknown' errors and you
got auto-deleted by the software" or whatever.  If LISTSERV just silently
did this and didn't notify anyone, I can imagine the mail we'd be getting
about it :)  The bottom line is that the reports are for your own
protection, and if you don't want the reports, as I say, you're free to
write a little filter rule that says "throw it away".  I don't recommend
it but there you are.

Nathan