"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:54:23 -0400
>Currently I have the REVIEW setting set to private for my list.
>However, a number of subscribers are worried that this will enable
>spammers to subscribe to the list, make off with the list of
>addresses, and start spamming.  My view is that this is an extremely
>inefficient way to gather e-mail addresses, and spammers--the pros
>anyway--resort to other means to gather e-mail addresses.  I have yet
>to see a spam targeting just the subscribers of my list, which seems
>to support my view.
>
>What are your views on this matter?  Am I subjecting my subscribers to
>too much risk against potential spams?
>
>--
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>Dan Kanagy               finger for PGP public key
>Tokyo, Japan

Seems like you have two competing interests, those of your subscribers,
and those of the potential spammers.  If your subscribers are that
concerned, and if they are concerned in a majority fassion and not just a
few stray subscribers, then give them what they want.  It can't do you any
harm.

Hmmmm....what kind of checking does listserv do to verify that the
requests for information are really coming from the list owner and not a
potential spammer who happens to ghost a list-owners address?  Suppose it
doesn't much matter if all of the responses are sent to the owner address
and not the spammer address....

My list is suibscribe by owner and also review by owner.  This is mostly
because it was decided that e-mail address anonimity was a big issue for
my list.  Therefore, anybody trying to get a review of my list is going to
have a very difficult time with actually accomplishing it unless they hack
my e-mail account and go from there.  If you are looking for list
security, this is your best bet, I think.

Glenn