Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:55:33 -0600
> Windows 95/98/ME outnumbers Windows NT/2000 by a large factor. L-Soft
> supports both systems and I think we have maybe a couple dozen Win95/98/ME
> clients. The reason is simply that people who run LISTSERV typically use
> Windows NT/2000, SQL Server, etc. LISTSERV does not really target the
> consumer or desktop system markets, although we do have products for these
> markets.

I would dispute the usefulness of MS Access in real-life business --
especially in those small to midsized businesses (those that are likely to
have a shared cable modem as their access to the 'net).

But this is a debate for another forum... ;-)

> L-Soft does not have anything against Access in particular. The LISTSERV
> database
> interface is generic and will work with any database that supports a
minimal
> function set. Perhaps newer versions of Access do, if so they will work
with
> LISTSERV, if not they won't. Either way, the demand for Access support is
> virtually nonexistent and we can hardly cripple the functionality offered
> people who use real databases like Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server just to
provide
> support for Access.

Actually, I was also asking this question on the msnews.microsoft.com
newsserver (a great resource for questions involving MS products, btw).
Seems that MS Access 2000 has a ODBC interface which is basically it's SQL
interface.

Sadly, it seems that Listserv is virtually unheard of amoung MS Access
folks, as none of them has attempted to try it either.
Chris Barnes                              AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                      ICQ:     3581645
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Geography                    ph: 979-458-1539
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-862-4487