Skye Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:30:44 -0500
At 10:13 AM 3/24/97 -5, Francoise wrote:
>I want to write him a letter that would make it very clear just how
>bad this idea is. I thought y'all might have some good ideas of the
>kinds of things to tell him to convince him. (Because I noticed that
>he had his address-book on his web page, and I'd like to not just
>explain why I'm not going to do it, but hopefully convince him to
>practice safe webbing too).

Perhaps just explain that it's your list policy?  With all due respect,
you shouldn't have to explain your reasons to him.  It's your list,
and you must create your own policies.  I have had people join my list
in the past, and quietly lurk to "see" who posts, then use the addresses
they obtain for their own benefit.  I don't like making this process
easy for people who have ill-intentions.  Some people never choose to
post for fear they will be "found and discovered."

I have been having some terrible problems with my list lately -- bogus
subscription requests, etc., and cannot imagine the problems I would
be having if the list of subscribers were available to everyone.  The
feedback I have gotten from my subscribers is that they feel much
safer knowing their information is not openly available.  Many people
will not subscribe to a list if they know that they can be identified.

Just my opinion.... hope this helps you in solving your dilemma....

~~ Skye

mailto:[log in to unmask]    HomePage: http://www.skyeweb.com/
Avian Yellow Pages:  http://www.skyeweb.com/parrots/yp/ypintro.htm