Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 09:45:08 -0500
Wendy Plotkin <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> Is it possible to use the WELCOME LETTER in the fileservers and arrange
> to *not* have the standard Listserv letter sent?

I'm not an expert on this and I could easily be wrong, but I
don't think so.  If you don't have a custom MAILFORM for your
list, the default letter is sent.

You could, of course, make the custom MAILFORM send a very short
message instead of the default.

For our lists, I think it is fine for subscribers to get two
letters.  One is the "subscription acknowledgement" from the
LISTSERV *computer program*, the other is the welcome from the
*people* who organize the list.  I think this helps subscribers
learn that LISTSERV commands are processed by a program that
cannot understand natural language.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>