Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 May 1994 21:45:45 EST
Shoot, if you want to set the confirm "window" longer, you can do that...
in fact I seem to recall that Eric mentioned setting the window longer
<because> some gateways weren't going to pass mail that quickly.

('Scuse the flaminess of the following:)

And I have to say, I'm tired of hearing about "neophytes on the net."
We were all neophytes once, and I'll wager it was during the days when
you said "Internet" and 99% of the population went "Huh?  Is that an
international bball league?"  :)  Neophytes today have it so easy it
makes me ill.  Go to your local bookstore and count the "Intro to the
Internet" books.  I was in Barnes and Noble last week and I <know> there
were 15 or 20 <different> books about navigating the Internet on the
shelves.  The difference is that most people are too durn LAZY to pick
up the documentation that's out there and read it.

I really do not think that there is any excuse for any person who uses
the net to use it in ignorance of its basics.  If you have a different
opinion, you're entitled to it.  But take the subscription confirmation,
for example.  Eric has designed LISTSERV to send a detailed message to
the subscriber that lays out exactly what to do now that the command
has been received.  How many people really read it?  And how many people
read and save the "Your subscription has been accepted" message with
the various instructions on unsubbing, etc?  (Durn few to judge from
the traffic on my lists and several of the others I'm subbed to...)

I could go on but I have to be up at 0-dark-30 to avoid the annual 500
Mini Marathon that runs through campus between 9 and noon...:)...so
sayonara....

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  ------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, STUACTS, APOSEC52, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L & STUDENT@INDYCMS
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.