Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:18:40 -0400
>Hi, I'm a new owner of a list.  I'm sort of learning this as I go along.
>I have checked the manuals but find them lacking in a few minor specific
>details.
>
>I have hacked the MAILTPL to send a different welcome message. I am having
>some problems with the formating of the <cr><lf> controls.
>
>What is the control character for a hard return?
>
>I want:
>
>1)Point number 1
>2)Point number 2
>
>I am getting:
>1)Point number 12)Point number 2
>
>A blank line transmits ok. EG:
>
>LINE 1
>
>LINE 2
>
>comes out as it should.
>

>Thanks in advance.

To summarize what you already know:

LISTSERV assumes that consecutive lines in a MAILTPL file are part of
the same paragraph and so will run them together.

The solution:

Tell LISTSERV you don't want the lines automatically formatted.  You
can do this by putting:

.FO OFF

before the first such line and

.FO ON

after the last.

Note that if you're using variables within your list you may end up
with some shorter- or longer-than-desired lines.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc