Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 19:09:08 CST
On Sat, 18 Nov 1995 14:28:23 -0500 you said:
>Greg:
>
>You said:
>
>> Now, I'd like to search these library files based on specified criteria
>> much like I can do for my list database.  Is this possible and if so,
>> how is it done?
>
>I am not familiar with VM enough to even remotely have a clue how to do this,
>but the answer to your question is, I think, it cannot be done with the
>current version of LISTSERV for VM.  I wanted to do the same thing. I wrote a

   On the contrary, I think that only the VM version has the search
routines you can use to build your own database search routines.  We've
done this in the past but it is a bit of work and since we're getting
rid of VM it isn't something we would want to do (we did some basic stuff
for the HICNEWS files here).  There are several samples you can follow (eg.
for notebooks, the lists database, etc.).

   I'm not sure how you'd do this on other systems and besides, using
something like a WWW frontend or mail frontend to something like WAIS
might be a better way to go.

       marty