Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:48:55 -0500
Philip C. Schulte wrote:
> Is a co-owner technically able to change the configuration of the
> list in such a way that he just displaces the owner from his  po-
> sition?

Far as I know, yes. LISTSERV does not distinguish between "owner"
and "co-owner."  "Moderator" & "Owner", yes, there is a distinction
and a limit on abilities, as to the list.  But all designated Owners
are Owners, and all Owners can change the list header, which means that
any Owner can remove any other Owner.

If you've a fractious list, and are worried about it, just don't make
anyone else Owner.  If you do, and there is a palace coup, well, present
your case to the host site administrator(s).

> In other words how can I give someone else responsibility without
> risking a coup against me?

You cannot give someone else owner responsibilty without making the person
an owner.  You can direct errors to this address, notify to that address,
etc., but if they haven't owner priviledges they won't be able to do much
other than report to you.

I don't see how you could expect someone to be responsible for Owner
functions without his having Owner abilities.

If you are afraid of a coup, well, just don't make anyone else an owner.

Douglas Winship