F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:42:14 +0000
I have been asked if the Listserver can automatically update the list membership.  We in fact do have lists whose membership is rebuilt every night on the basis of (Perl/bash) scripts.  We would not give that access to anyone outside the organization.

However,

CJLI sent in mail could do this -- the organization that wants it done would have to generate the file and send it as mail:
charset utf-8
//   job,pw=<listserv-pw>
quiet add <listname> address1
quiet add <listname> address2
quiet add <listname> addressN
//   eoj

However, all the current members of the list would have to be removed before the update.  Which is doable in "bulk operations" via the web interface, but that cannot be scripted.  I cannot seem to find this, but can a list owner (not site mgr) send a command like
quiet delh <listname> *

Of course, I'm probably overlooking something.
Thanks,
--Joe

(I seem to recall the * is pretty much the preserve of the mgr,