"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Dec 1992 16:20:00 EST
(I've searched the IBMTCP-L as well as LSTOWN-L archives ...)

Currently I operate an MVS TCP host that has DNS "A" record names in
the form "a.b.PSU.EDU", "b.PSU.EDU", and "c.PSU.EDU".  The "a.b" is the
value in the TCPIP.DATA's HostName keyword.  Likewise our MUA builds
the BSMTP HELO with the "a.b.PSU.EDU".

Our Bitearn Node entry for the Bitnet host specifies an :INTERNET tag
with ALL of the above "A" names.

I've verified that Revised Listserv can distribute mail (and Telnet)
to the "c.PSU.EDU" host (I'm the list owner so I could add whatever
hostname) and that Listserv equivalencing is correct between the
Bitnet node and Internet HostName.

Now what kind of "trouble" do you think I'll get into if I change the
TCPIP.DATA HostName to the "c" value and the MUA BSMTP HELO to
"c.PSU.EDU"?  (I'm not ready to remove the DNS "A" records for the
other values.)

Real Life Experiences (RLE) appreciated.

/Pete ([log in to unmask])
--
Peter M. Weiss                     | not affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg -- Penn State Univ.| "Connectivity is more than a Connection"