John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:37:56 -0500
Pete Weiss wrote:

>If a list has PRIVATE notebooks, then a list subscriber must register a
>LISTSERV (not list) password using the standard e-mail three-way handshake.
>This most likely is as secure as someone subscribing with CONFIRM
>processing on a list that has a keyword definition of REVIEW=OWNER and
>lurking on the list looking for email addresses.

But having private notebooks doesn't stop someone from going to a list's
web archive interface page, does it?  Is it currently possible to restrict
access to a list's WAI page to only that list's subscribers?  If so, how?

And Mary Schweitzer wrote:

>I can give you three examples of addresses being "mined" from archived
>lists, stemming from my experience on a USENET-gated support list...

Well, this is certainly understandable -- in my experience almost all names
on lists sold to junk e-mailers come from people whose messages have
appeared on Usenet.  This is the main reason I think a lot of people prefer
Listserv over Usenet for topical discussions.

-- John