Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 11:28:59 CST
On Thu, 17 Feb 1994 22:50:40 CST, Wendy Plotkin <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Thanks for pointing this out.  Does this mean that *any* Set command

As I understand it, there is exactly ONE set command:
   SET listname options

>                                                                     can
>be used by an Owner with the "for userid@node" appended

LISTOWNR MEMO does not place any restrictions on which options of the
SET command can be used by an Owner in conjunction with the
FOR userid@node option.  That MEMO is quite old, but I don't recall
any restrictions of that nature being added since.

>             It is this point about which I wasn't sure.

I've seen a statement that went something like:  "Most common user
commands have a FOR userid@node operand for the use of Postmasters or
List Owners."  I can't seem to find that statement now, so it probably
isn't a direct quote.  But, basically, the rule I follow is:  Try it,
and see if it works.  Either it'll work just fine, or it'll complain
about an invalid operand.  It's extremely rare that you'll need to
worry about doing anything truly destructive.  One of the beautiful
things about LISTSERV is that it almost never does anything that's not
intuitively obvious.

Bill