Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:20:43 -0500
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Dan Robinson wrote:

>Jamaica, NY IS in New York City, in the borough of Queens to be exact.
>News reports this morning mentioned that a major Verizon hub was damaged
>in the explosions and aftermath. I would expect internet and telecom
>problems to continue for awhile.
>
>Dan Robinson
>(in the bronx, fortunately)

Kary forwarded privately to Maelstrom listowners a note from Applied
Theory (SJU's ISP) that Verizon's West Street central office in
Manhattan is totally out of service due to severe structural and water
damage, knocking out connectivity to many of their (Applied Theory's)
customers in NYC and Long Island.  Verizon is working to restore
electricity at the site (and God only knows what other damage they'll
discover when they do), and Applied Theory is working to set up
alternate routing, but due to the magnitude of the disaster they're in
no position to give any time frames.

Dennis