Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:39:24 +1000

> Please tell me that I am not loosing my mind!
>
> Back in the "old days" probably about Ver. 1.7f , I am positive that
> included messages  would not go through LISTSERV(R) with a (space)
> following the ">" that indicated a "quoted" line.

Phil

I'm 99% sure that the behaviour you're describing is an Outlook issue.  I
use Outlook2k but Express and the full-version are fundamentally the same
under the bonnet (or 'hood' for the North Americans :), it's mostly the user
interface that's different.

When Outlook receives a message in HTML it will, by default, use the same
format when replying/forwarding.  It sends the HTML portion as an attachment
along with a plain-text version (as it should).  It uses indented spaces to
specify previous text within the HTML part but, unfortunately, doesn't apply
the same sort of delineation within the plain-text.  (This can be seen if
you reply/forward and choose to send in plain-text, this will then display
the plain-text part of the email.)  When replying to email that's originally
in plain-text or rich text, Outlook *will* apply correct prefacing (unless
you've specified something wildly different in your user options).

So, it appears that your problem manifests itself when you *receive* an HTML
email and proceed to reply/forward.  I'm sorry to say that there doesn't
appear to be any way of converting such email into either plain or rich text
before you want to reply or forward it.  The only suggestions I can make is
either plead with all your correspondants to not send HTML (probably an
impossibility) or else switch to another MUA (if you're not in a coorporate
environment).  If you're stuck with using OE then you'll have to learn to
add some manual prefacing yourself before sending to LISTSERV.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.