"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:00:42 -0400
>Sent this off to SPAM-L, too...
>
>Has anyone dealt with the 'Fredrik Williamsberg' person who for years,
>apparently, attempts to subscribe to lists on listserve?  His only
>consistency is that he uses a different address every time...but he
>keeps trying several times a week like clockwork.
>
>On our listserv console logs, while trying to figure out where
>another spam came from I noticed that one of his messages 'really'
>came from [log in to unmask], but that may be because
>he tried subscribing with an 'answerme.com' host/domain.
>
>Given that he uses a different address all the time I'm trying to
>find if there's a way to 'filter' by the subscriber's name rather
>than address...
>
>ALSO:  This last weekend we got hit pretty bad with subscription
>attempts with a few more commonalities.
>
>1) sub attempts to our lists from different addresses but with the user
>name 'Washington University NIH Guide Distribution'.
>
>2) sub attempts to our lists from different addresses but with
>the user name given as the name of the list itself.
>
>I think the two are related -- one of the error messages I got back
>from the lists requiring confirmation looked like the person had
>taken a LIST file received from listserv and edited it by adding
>the SUBSCRIPTION command in front of the list address, leaving the
>list name as the 'user name'.
>
>EXAMPLE:
>
>SUBSCRIBE MAAL-L Mid-American Association of Law Libraries
>SUBSCRIBE IHOUSE-L International House List
>

>Not really sure if there's answers for these problems, or preventive
>measures...but venting this off to the list makes it feel a _little_
>better...
>
>--Garrie Burr
>  Information Systems
>  Washington University in St. Louis

Solution to this problem might be to make all of your lists closed, and
thereby subscribing people only after you have been able to make personal
e-mail contact with the actual person.  Of course, this greatly increases
your workload as a list owner, but it greatly decreases your work later
on.  Also, you can place in your list header information about how to
contact the list owner via e-mail to be placed on the list.

Glenn