Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:58:27 EDT
> Reason I ask is that I needed to email a campus-wide announcement. So, I
> downloaded the campus directory, extracted all email addrs, and pasted
> into the BCC field.
>
> I'm interested in hearing flames or sage advice for next time if this
> was a very bad thing to do. I knew enough not to use the TO or CC
> fields.

There are a lot of considerations in deciding how to do mass campus
mailings, with or without LISTSERV.  It's easy to make a mess of
things, overloading recipient mail systems, etc.  Within an
organization there are some different considerations than a mailing to
the same number of people on the Internet, as the recipients are likely
to be concentrated on a lot fewer systems.  We do mass mailings to
about 28,000 people in our organization with LISTSERV.  We've put
considerable effort into trying to do it with minimal impact, while
still making things as easy as possible for the users and the
moderators.  I'd be glad to discuss the particulars by voice with
anyone interested.  It's too much to type in.

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 4265
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   [log in to unmask]
Postmaster: CU.NIH.GOV, LIST.NIH.GOV, MAILFWD.NIH.GOV, PACKET.NET.NIH.GOV