Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:19:21 EST
> I understood that I'd have some problems to deal with when I started the
> list and I think I've done reasonably well with them until now, but I'm
> looking for some suggestions on how I an tell the people on the list that
> there are no First Amendment privileges on my list because it is a
> privately run and privately funded enterprise without alienating the people
> that I want to keep on the list.

If you want a well-written explanation of why the First Amendment does
not apply to your list, try the recent archives of the LISTSERV list
[log in to unmask] The list is a series of short
explanations, written by law professors, of how various legal
principles apply to the Internet.  They recently covered the First
Amendment.  In fact, if you cared, which you probably don't, you could
find an explanation of why the First Amendment does not allow anyone to
post anything they please to lists on NIH's LISTSERV, which is operated
by the U.S. Government.

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 4265
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   [log in to unmask]
Postmaster: CU.NIH.GOV/NIHCU, LIST.NIH.GOV, MAILFWD.NIH.GOV, WEB.NIH.GOV