Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:21:02 MST
On Sat, 3 Aug 1996 01:38:39 -0400 Murph Sewall said:
>Absolutely.  What do they want for nothing, their money back? :-)
>
>A list is not a Burger King.

   Absolutely.  It is the listowner's way, or the highway,  Period.

One thing I just do NOT understand is why other listowners don't just DELETE
the mailbouncers.  Some here set them to nomail.  Others set them to index.
Why bother?  Whichever of the four you do (delete, nomail, index, digest),
it requires action on the part of the subscriber.  All of them require the
subscriber to send a message to your listserv and do something.  Yes, deleting
may require them to send a message and a confirmation, which is marginally
more difficult.  On the other hand, they at least theoretically know how
to do that, as they joined in the beginning.  The others require actions that
the majority of members do NOT know how to do, thus increasing the likelihood
of my intervention.  The other three also leave them the option to send a
message to the list for help, a nasty option indeed.

Yes, it is your list and you can do whatever the hell you want.  I'm NOT trying
to control anyone else.  I just don't understand why people make things hard
on themselves while leaving the subscriber in a position to make stupid
postings to the list, and in two of the cases produce added bounces.

curious world out there....

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979