Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:59:16 -0600
At 10:16 AM 8/13/1997 -0400, Bob Crovo wrote:
>I don't understand what about this posting triggered Listserv to think that
>it was meant to be a command. Can anyone help us avoid a recurrence by
>pointing out the pattern? TIA
>>Subject: re: decentralization focus groups
>>
>>Please send mail to "a certain someone" at   some@where   if you want to
>>sign up for the focus groups on August 26.

LISTSERV parses at least the first line for things that look like
addresses, commands, etc.

Note the following words in the first line:
send mail to
some@where

the program obviously thought someone was trying to do something like
set listname nomail for some@where

this would be particularly true if it came from a listowner.  I don't KNOW
if it is pickier on listowner input than it is on others, but it wouldn't
surprise me if Eric had done so.....to protect us from our selves.

dan, who has seen many listowners send commands to their own lists.

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534