Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 10:18:55 -0400
>Ummm ... correct me if I am wrong, but you can still get the header from
>a REVIEW= OWNER list by using a REVIEW LISTNAME SHORT or REVIEW LISTNAME
>BY COUNTRY SHORT command.

Yes, it's possible, I've done it to find out the names of the listowners
for when I'm having problems with their list.  And, although I agree that
the filters might often be better off hidden, having the *entire* *header*
hidden means anonymous listownership as well.  *Then* to whom do you turn
when you need to contact a listowner?  Write to the list and hope (s)he's
reading it?  (I've come across absentee listownership.)  Write to the
postmaster and perhaps get the listowner in trouble?  (Some people run
lists on suffrance, and anything rocking the boat is likely to get the
entire list shut down.)

Would it be possible to have FILTER=alias, where alias is a separately
mounted list of addresses?  You can then fiddle with that alias file to
your heart's content and no one will whom you are blackballing.  If, by way
of professional consultation, one listowner would like to know how another
has set up filters, the other can send the alias file -- AFTER editing out
the personal addresses.  Unless, of course, perhaps, one of those personal
addresses is The Listmember From Hell who thrives on starting flame wars on
every list he joins, in which case a warning might be in order?  Perhaps
not, on second thought, might be grounds for libel suit.

I KNOW it's possible to have OWNER=alias, where alias is a mini-list for
the listowners.  (Handy way to do it -- ownership can change by simply
subscribing and unsubscribing people to the mini-list.  Saves having to
fiddle with the header.)  I'm assuming a True Genius could work the same
magic for FILTER=.

>   /O O `./      .'               PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN
>  {O__,   \    {                   [log in to unmask]

Nuts to you, too <grin>.

Mario Rups