Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 07:11:24 -0500
On 8/19/98 11:22 PM, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, rex wrote:
>> I use Subject-Tag= RARS to facilitate user's filtering. Unfortunately,
>> LISTSERV puts 6 spaces after the Subject:, so the subject line looks
>> like: Subject:      [RARS]. In searching the archives, I see this issue
>
>I have not seen LISTSERV do that, should be
>     Subject: [RARS] original-subject-line
>
>I have seen it, though, in replies which come for approval from someone
>who is using the subject header option.  I've never paid enough attention
>to note which systems seem to do that and which don't.  I think it is
>the person's mail system, not LISTSERV.  It's always looked to me like
>someone used a "tab."

Here's a sample of the headers from your message, as they came to me:

>Date:         Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:22:15 -0500
>Sender: "LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Winship <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: excess spaces after subject:
>Comments: To: rex <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]

There are extra spaces in a number of the fields.

This isn't a problem for most mailing software, since it's smart enough
to remove the errant spaces. But I guess some packages don't like it.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
[log in to unmask] | "Logic is the art of going wrong with