Listserv Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:59:57 -0400
One variation you might try to reign in the list is to enlist the help of
some of the responsible "senior" members of the list. Write them privately
and say that you're concerned that things are out of hand and that you
want to improve the environment. Offer some options: a sample set of
guidelines, etc. This way, you know you'll get some feedback and know if
you have some support. I would include something that says to the effect
"I've got to do something, I'm looking for advice, and I don't promise to
do what you tell me to but I probably will." This way, if you get some
really off-the-wall advice, as the "benevolent dictator", you have grounds
for ignoring it.

Think about what kind of a climate you want on the list, and then
formulate your guidelines accordingly. Successful lists range all the way
from totally civil to tongue-in-cheek combative to outright war. A certain
amount of conflict MAY be useful in your list; you might for example
exclude obscenity/profanity and personal attacks, but virtually anything
goes when criticizing poetry.

 -- [log in to unmask] Listserv Manager At Syracuse University --