"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 12:08:57 -0400

> Do any of your lists have a policy for dealing with postings which
> the poster would like to post anonymously, i.e., the poster would
> send the message to me (the listowner), I would evaluate it for
> appropriateness to the list, and then forward to the list with all
> indications of the poster's identity removed?  I have agreed to do
> this once or twice in the past year but with the receipt of another
> such request I have begun to think that an announced policy on
> this matter would be useful.   The list is semi-moderated; all
> subscribers send directly to the list but messages from non-
> subscribers are detoured to one of the listowners who forward them
> to the list if they are within-scope.
>
> Judith Hopkins, Listowner of [log in to unmask]
>   Internet: [log in to unmask]
>   Bitnet:   ulcjh@ubvm

        I am asking why your poster wants to be anonymous. I belong to
        several medical lists and have had people send me detailed
        information about disabilities to which I have responded. This
        is coming as close to confidentiality according to the law as
        I know it. If a patient wants to come with x - rays of their
        cerebral insult, this is a confidential situation. I could
        understand this type of confidentiality, but extending the
        opportunity for arbitrary flaming through anonymity seems to
        encourage the worst internet behaviour which is a great
        annoyance for list owners. Could you be more specific about
        the reasons the anonymity? What cases justify concealing the
        person posting messages? -- Paul.

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]