Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Jun 1994 13:11:51 MST
On Mon, 27 Jun 1994 22:42:28 +0200 Anita Cohen-Williams said:
>How does one keep commercials/advertising off the list? It hasn't happened to
>mine yet, but one list I belong to (MUSEUM-L) has just had an ad posted on it
>(for a new book privately published). Are there any sanctions or ways of
>blocking such a posting (and, yes, I know about filters).

   First, your post indicates we all have different standards.  On my lists,
if the topic of the book were relevant to list, I'd consider it ok.  As long
as it were more in the sense of 'publishers announcement' than a lot of
la dee da hype....I consider those a service.  But all have different
standards.

  You can restrict postings to members, but if the poster was a member,
and you haven't chosen to moderate the list, then you're out of luck.
Of course you could zap the offender, though I'd not consider that
the right thing to do for a first offense.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523