Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 12:25:15 +0200
On Sun, 13 Sep 1992 20:29:32 EDT Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Many systems  here can now  utilize Internet services. What  does Bitnet
>give us that Internet doesn't?

SENDFILE, TELL and things like LISTSERV.

>If  Temple's Listserv  had to  be shut  down, our  listserv lists  could
>simply be moved to Usenet.

That is your claim. As you get to learn usenet, you will see that it does
not have only advantages. In  particular, it is an intrinsically anarchic
medium; any list  which requires some form of access  control or other is
unworkable  on   usenet.  Watch   out  for   Hasan  B.   Mutlu's  regular
cross-postings.

>How  would that  benefit  Bitnet  only sites  who  cannot access  Usenet
>directly?

You have  an inverted view  of the situation!  If people on  BITNET think
TEMPLEVM lists are  globally useful, they can be easily  moved to another
LISTSERV host;  if you move  them to usenet, they  can be gatewayed  to a
LISTSERV list.  Since when have  there been problems  getting information
from one network  to the other? TEMPLEVM lists which  are of purely local
interest, however, are unlikely to receive this kind of support.

>It seems to me that it would be better to allow those who drop Bitnet to
>continue to run their listservers so they can continue to provide Bitnet
>only sites with information.

Read the previous  messages: it is not even  technically possible without
leading to chaos.  There is a certain list of  networks whose members can
get free licenses,  and for now it  only includes NJE networks.  And if I
ever make (on  my own) a version that has  all the absolutely non-trivial
changes to support  non-NJE sites or other operating systems,  I am going
to charge for that version!

>Denying  Bitnet sites  this information  could  entise some  of them  to
>switch to Internet in order to receive the same information.

Nonsense: you  have just  pointed out  yourself that one  can be  on both
BITNET and  the Internet and enjoy  both forms of communication.  I can't
see why I would need to drop my BITNET connection just to read news.

  Eric