Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:21:42 -0400
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Paul Karagianis wrote:

> On 12 Oct 98, at 16:19, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>
> >More properly speaking, LISTSERV is a daemon, not a robot.
> >
> >Quite frankly the description "mailing list manager" is probably still
> >the best, although the acronym MLM unfortunately also refers to a
> >questionable type of get-rich-quick scheme :(
> >
> >Nathan
>
> I've been using "automaton" for years with no complaints.  I'm sure it
> has its problems, but so does "Daemon" which has its roots in Multics
> and refers to a Gatekeeper... derived from (James Clerk?) Maxwell's
> benevolent-demons "daemons" in thought experiments where they would
> operate the gate between two vials of gas and only let the the molecules
> pass in one direction.  Multics Daemons typically were privileged and
> acted as the gate-keepers between security rings to verify user requests
> for limited system services.  Unix' use of the term is as sloppy as every-
> thing else they borrowed without fully groking.

Fielded 3 calls today concerning Listserv - each of these List owners had
a problem with 'people being unable to post to my Listserv'. Usually it
was caused by subscribers changing their email addresses and becoming
persona no grata to Listserv. Polite re-education eventually drove home
the point - initial comments ranged from "oh, come on!" to "oh, for f***s
sake - what's the big deal". Actually it's a very big deal I told them.
They are now all aware of the difference between Listserv the product and
a Listserv-managed mailing list.

The message is getting across slowly but surely. :)

Scotty
--
Steve Howie                                     [log in to unmask]
Netnews and Listserv Admin                      519 824-4120 x2556