Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:29:24 -0500
|On my lists, which are fairly low traffic, I wait a day then set the
|offender to NOMAIL,NOPOST if it happens 2 dasy in a row.  Every 2-3 weeks I
|QUERY for this combination and set them back to normal.  If there are
|further bounces (mailbox still full) I delete them.  High traffic lists may
|require more prompt measures.

I invoke different strategies for different ISPs.  For my list that deals
with university-related administrative function, I am less tolerant of
those email addresses that bounce from non .EDU* addresses.

For those Mail Transfer Agents that *I* trust to tell me reliable
information, I might believe them and act appropriately e.g., if userid NOT
found via a MTA related to a VM/CMS system, I trust it.

I also look at the time of day or which day or holiday.

For various mailbox conditions on ISPs where customers change userids
frequently or acquire low- or no- cost accounts, they are dealth with more
extremely.

Like you, I use the NOMAIL, NOPOST options as a personal reminder as to the
fact that this userid (or host) had significant mail delivery difficulties.

Because of the hi-volume (20-30 mail messages per day), I tell subscribers
that any day that they don't receive list mail represents a problem
somewhere (first they should ask their sysadmins).  Functionally with that
traffic volume, we are "testing" their e-mail/network delivery systems.

More often than not, I have been thanked for my efforts in alerting
cognizant administrators of their difficulties e.g., broken/misconfigured
DNS (skills that I've learned after subscribing to LSTOWN-L et al.,
interacting privately with other subscribers (Hi! M.K.) and being proactive).
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA