Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:17:16 -0600
A listowner friend.. got the following from the postmaster of a
subscriber's server after she asked them to look into why her subscriber
kept getting deleted from the list due to:

> >> - The  last reported  error was:  Mailer mail12.SKYWIZARD.COM
> >> said: "551 <[log in to unmask]>... we do not relay"

errors.  The listowner got the following back.. and suggestions on what to
tell this provider?

Date sent:              Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:43:40 +1000
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 07:51:13 -0400
From: csmith <[log in to unmask]>
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message does not properly reflect the problems you are having
with the mail list.  All email sent from anyhwere will reach you
unless it gets stuck in another email server queue along the way and
then gets improperly transfered. Since you are the end recepiant
there is NO relaying involved on our part to you.  Most likley what
is happening is that the list is illeagly trying to use somone elses
server to transmit large volumes of email ( AND COMSUME LARGE
AMMOUNTS OF SYSTEM TIME) to transmit there lists.  This is a trick
taht many list generators use so as not to have to purchase and
maintain email service equipment.  We also keep an eye on such
activity and put a stop to it whenever we find it on our machines as
well, however in your case it appears that it is being found out
before it gets to you no the other abused systems. Consider that if
the list generator would do something like this just what kind of
information are you getting ( viruses maybe). The best way to avoid
this type of problem is to have list generated mail sent to something
like an off system Yahoo account, This keeps potential trouble off of
your machine.