Shapard Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:29:41 -0700
-----Original Message-----
>From: Russ Hunt

>But there's a substantial difference between an email to an individual
>and a public posting to an archived discussion list.  I might try to do
>something about someone quoting a private email, but I wouldn't even
>think about it if the quoted text were out there on a public list.
>-- Russ
>Russell Hunt
>Department of English
>St. Thomas University
>http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/

Yes, but this is a _private_ list. Does that make a difference? To me,
things that I post on a public list, e.g. SAS-L are _public_; I have no
expectation of privacy or copyright. Anyone may join that list and the
archives are, I believe, open.

This list is a private, closed, open-to-members-of-the-association-only
list. My powers-that-be think that makes it different.

Some of you have suggested, here and offline, that it would be necessary
to have members agree to these terms to have any kind of binding
authority. I could do that by turning on renewal and making the terms
part of the message. (We currently do not use Listserv renewal; members
are unsubscribed if they fail to pay annual membership fees to the
association.) I'm kind of skeptical that it would make a real
difference.

Shap