Anexis Hostmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:27:51 -0400
At 01:11 PM8/6/98, you wrote:
>Actually
>
>-> RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
>553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
>-> No recipient left, message aborted.
>
>that 553 error is coming from qmail, not LISTSERV.

Yeah, I know that...I knew that from the beginning...

>LISTSERV does indeed
>operate by opening port 25 and sending SMTP mail through the local MTA,
>so if you have relaying turned off in qmail I'd imagine you'd see this
>error.

In my humble, non-programmer opinion, this is quite silly to do.  Simply
because you will run into problems like the one I'm having.  Most MTAs now
turn off relaying.

>Since LISTSERV isn't being allowed to relay, it aborts the
>message.  GAEA would have to be set up to allow relay from the local
>host if not anywhere else.

The interesting thing is, GAEA has been told to allow relays from the
localhost.  That's not the problem.  The problem is what in the world is
listserv doing opening up port 25 to send out mail?  It's not an MTA, let
the other programs take care of that, don't you think?  Then again, I'm not
a programmer... :)

Cheers,
--
Anexis Hostmaster