Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:04:31 -0700
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:30:04 -0500, John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What I think you're getting at that and
>that an owner does need to address are "Error Reports" generated by servers
>(mostly AOL) and sent on to owners when the Listserv software can't
>decipher them.
>
>What if I set filters to ignore "Renewal Monitoring Reports" and "Error
>Monitoring Reports" and then put "Error Reports" into a special mailbox.
>That, it seems to me, would have the added advantage of allowing an owner
>to look at the "Error Reports" mailbox and jump directly from error message
>to error message to see if there were patterns that needed to be addressed.

Exactly.  LISTSERV is not sendin you these msgs just to make you happy or to
tell it's busy.  The only errors that come to you this way are the ones LISTSERV
can't figure out what to do with, usually because they are in a non-standard
format. (The DSN error msg format is detailed in RFC1894 if you're interested.)
AOL is known for not following this format.  8-(  When LISTSERV can't make sense
of the errors it forwards it to a human who presumably can make sense of it and
take appropriate action if any.

Routing the error msgs into a suitable mail folder that you check is an
excellent idea if you have a mailer capable of this kind of filtering.  The
important thing to remember is, some action is usually called for or you
wouldn't be getting the error msg in the first place.

 Ben Parker ..... L-Soft international Inc. ..... [log in to unmask]