"Ingrid H. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:22:43 -0600
Dear Anne,

Methinks you are a bit too sensitive to nuances of grammar. *If* one
interprets the term "subscribe" as a one-time action which results
in list membership then your version would, indeed, be the only
correct version. The term "subscribe," however, also has the
connotation of "being a subscriber"--an ongoing "state." Hence, the
present tense is acceptable.  "I subscribe to" has essentially the
same meaning as "I am subscribed to."  I see no reason to insist
that LISTSERV change its default welcome message!

Cheers, Ingrid
[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
http://192.146.206.5/www/faculty/shaferi/index.html