"s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:57:00 EST
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:51:00 EST "s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I asked in an earlier message why, for a user with
>        From: <[log in to unmask]>
>and
>        Sender: ADVOX Gateway <[log in to unmask]>
>why listserv  attempted to subscribe  the postmaster address  instead of
>the one in "From:".

Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> replied:

[Some sarcasm deleted.]
>LISTSERV assumes that  the [Sender:] address was inserted for a
>reason. Why do you think this is an unreasonable assumption?

Well, the reason for my original question was to try to help my
potential list-member by telling her what to do, the first step of which
was to determine the behaviour of Listserv to try to determine
incompatibilities between Listserv and her mailer.  Though nobody has
said this in so many words, it seems that Listserv uses the Sender:
field if it exists, and the From: field otherwise (yes? no?).  If this
is the case, (or whatever the algorithm actually is), I'd suggest that
such a basic aspect of Listserv's operation be included in the
documentation (or made easier to find if it is in there); many people
see a large overlap between "undocumented behaviour" and "bug."

It is not my intention to try to justify reasonable or unreasonable
behaviour--just to solve my subscriber's (and my) problem.  The
question, rephrased to reflect my revised assumptions on Listserv's
behaviour, remains: "Is there no reasonable option other than (a) to have
the prospective subscriber have her mailer changed not to contain
anything in _Sender_ other than what she wants subscribed and (b) to add
her manually myself?"

Shahrukh Merchant