Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:29:04 EDT
On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:09:37 GMT Aldo-pier Solari said:

>B.   The  US  has strict regulations concerning civilian encryption:
>FBI has access to all encryption  technology, by the law.  Thus, all
>encryption software (hardwares microcode) allowed in the  market  is
>-luckyly- an easy game to the FBI and other .GOV related agencies.

I don't know what US you are talking about.  In the US where I live,
there is no goverment regulation of cryptology (excpet for some attempts
to limit export of crypto systems.)  We recently went through some
attempts by the government to mandate a standard (the clipper chip)
which had a back-door to allow the government the ability to read
messages encrypted by it.  At this time, nothing has come about, and
probably won't.

The FBI has access to nothing.  Periodically, the whine about it, but
the people here who believe in personal liberty keep them in their place.

I can use any crypto system I want.  No one tells me anything.

Yes, there have been discussions about the relative security of various
methods, but nothing has been proven one way or another.  The No Such
Agency (NSA) is remarkably closed mouthed about this.  They don't say
Nothing!

Harold