"J. Lyle" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 07:29:36 -0500
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Tiernan wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my list and can't seem to work out how to fix it
> from the list owner's manual.
>
> One of the subscribers to my list uses Outlook 97, and it keeps attaching a
> file to his posts called "winmail.dat".  I don't get this when he emails me
> directly, only with his posts to the list.  In addition, some subscribers
> (myself included) will get two copies of each of his posts: one version of
> his post with the attachment, and a second with the attachment converted to
> text and appended to his post (looks like uuencoding, that sort of thing).
>  The problem I am having is that it seems to cause problems with some of
> the other subscribers receiving the posts.  A couple have reported that it
> causes thier email to hang, so they have to continue downloading the post
> manually, and one who gets the digested form has reported that he doesn't
> get any more of the digest after the first post appearing in that day's
> digest from this subscriber.  I haven't had any trouble getting the entire
> digest myself, but have found that the digest will appear with the subject
> of this subscriber's first post instead of the regular list digest header.
> I tried adding the setting "NOFILES" in the DEFAULT field, to see if that
> would strip the file attachment... it had no effect on people already
> getting doubled posts, and caused the people who were not getting doubled
> posts to start.  Is there any way to make listserv strip these file
> attachments from the posts?  FWIW, file attachments are normally not sent
> over this list, so it's not a problem if there is any way to strip them.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
> M>)\^(CH#`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$(@ <`
> M& ```$E032Y-:6-R;W-O9G0@36%I;"Y.;W1E`#$(`0V ! `"`````@`"``$$
> MD 8`F $```$````0`````P``, (````+``\.``````(!_P\!````0P``````
> M``"!*Q^DOJ,0&9UN`-T!#U0"`````%1I<DYA;D]C`%--5% `5$E23D%.3T-
>
> (snippage of about 3k worth of this stuff)
>
> end
>
> Any help is deeply appreciated
>
> Tiernan
>
> <0o---<>---o0<Mistress of the Wild Hunt>0o---<>---o0>
>      I just don't seem to be able to do this
>    'pretend you have a normal life' thing well.
>                                         -- Selendria
> <0o---<>---o0< http://www.tirnanoc.org >0o---<>---o0>

We've had this same problem on our list. Your subscriber needs to
reconfigure his mail. This information is from the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

Preventing WINMAIL.DAT Sent to Internet Users

Last reviewed: April 3, 1997
Article ID: Q138053 The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, version 4.0
Microsoft Exchange Windows clients, version 4.0

SUMMARY

When you send mail to the Internet from a Microsoft Exchange Windows
client, an file attachment called WINMAIL.DAT may be added to the message.
This attachment contains Microsoft Exchange rich-text information for the
message being sent. The WINMAIL.DAT file may not be useful to
non-Microsoft Exchange recipients. The information in the WINMAIL.DAT file
may appear on the receiving end as binary information at the end of the
mail message.

This article describes how to prevent sending the WINMAIL.DAT attachment
to Internet users when you are using the Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail
Connector (IMC).

MORE INFORMATION

You can control whether or not to send rich-text format in any one of the
following ways:

1. Creating Custom Recipients When the administrator creates a custom
recipient using the Microsoft Exchange Administrator program, clear the
"Always Send To This Recipient In Microsoft Exchange Rich-Text Format"
check box.

2. Modifying Existing Microsoft Exchange and Custom Recipients The
administrator can modify an existing user account (Microsoft Exchange user
or custom recipient) to not send rich-text format information, by clearing
the MAPI Recipient check box in the Advanced property page of the
recipient's properties. You can view the recipient's properties by
selecting the recipient name and then choosing Properties from the File
menu.

3. Addresses in the Personal Address Book The user can modify the Internet
addresses in a their personal address book not to send rich-text
information by clearing the "Always Send To This Recipient In Microsoft
Exchange Rich-Text Format" check box in the SMTP - Address property page
of the Internet address in the PAB. To obtain the properties of an entry
in a PAB, select the entry and choose Properties from the File menu.

4. Configuring the Internet Mail Connector (IMC)  The administrator can
configure the IMC to send or not to send rich-text information by
following the steps below:
  a. Bring up the properties of the
     Internet Mail Connector.
  b. Select the General property page.
     The Send Microsoft Exchange Rich Text list box controls
     the sending of rich-text data. There are three values
     to choose from:
     - If the value is set to User, the recipient properties
       are used to determine whether or not to send rich-text
       information.
     - If the value is set to Always, rich-text information
       is always sent, regardless of the recipient properties.
     - If the value is set to Never, rich-text information
       is never sent.

You can also configure whether or not to send rich-text information on a
per-domain basis. To define e-mail domains and the message settings for
that domain, click the E-Mail Domain button.

5.One-Off Addressing
You can send e-mail to an Internet user from an Exchange client, using
One-Off addressing. One-Off addressing allows sending a message to
addresses that are not in the Personal Address Book, the Global Address
List, or in any recipient containers.

Depending on the type of the One-Off address used, rich-text information
is or is not sent with the message:
   a. Rich-Text Information Sent:
      If the One-Off address has the following format, rich-text
      information is sent with the message:
         [SMTP:<SMTP Address>]
      where SMTP Address is any valid SMTP address, for example:
      To verify that rich-text information is sent:
         1) Select the Check Names command from the Tools menu after
            typing
            the address in the above format.
            This should display the SMTP address without the "SMTP:." The
            name should be underlined.
         2) Bring up the Properties of the address by double clicking it.
            If the option "Always send to this recipient in Microsoft
            Exchange rich-text format" is checked indicating that
            rich-text
            information (the WINMAIL.DAT file) is sent along with the
            message.
   b. Rich-Text Information Not Sent:
      If you use a One-Off address and you do not want to send rich-text
      information to the recipient, the address should have the following
      format:
         <SMTP Address>
      where SMTP Address is any valid SMTP Address, for example:
   NOTE: Unlike the address in step 5.a. above, the SMTP Address is not
   proceeded by "SMTP:" and the address is not enclosed in square
   brackets.
   If you click the Check Names command and then get the properties of the
   address, you can see that the rich-text option is not selected.
   However, no matter what option is selected for the address of the
   recipient, the IMC settings determine whether or not rich-text
   information is transmitted. If the IMC is set to never send rich-text
   data, then even if the properties of the recipient address have the
   rich-text option selected, no rich-text is transmitted.
   If the IMC has separate settings for individual domains, then the
   settings for those domains takes precedence for all messages addressed
   to users in those domains.