Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:57:46 -0400
On 28 Apr 99, at 10:46, Pete Weiss wrote:

> Nope, this is NOT the phenomenon that I saw -- three+ days backlog w/
> timeout bounces i.e., the backlog did not clear-up overnight but
> considerably disrupted receipt of email by customers.

Sites with relatively low numbers of hotmail subscribers would not have
noticed the backlog. Mail was being delivered to hotmail, just very very
slowly. It was taking the hotmail servers an average of 5 seconds to
respond to each recipient. On monday we had over 100,000 hotmail
recipients queued on one server alone -- several days worth of
continuous delivery -- and it was building up faster than it was trickling
out. On the other hand, a site with only 100 or even 1000 hotmail
recipients would barely notice the difference. That is why we are seeing
the discrepancy in reports.

Our hotmail queues are pretty low now, so I suspect they fixed the
problem.

Francoise