Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:26:48 -0400
At 23:45 07/23/2003 Wednesday, John Lyon wrote:
 >> On behalf of my alumni association, I use a service, WHATHELPS.COM which
 >> hosts three lists for us for a nominal monthly amount using listserv 1.8e.
 >>
 >> We average about 10 msgs a day on our list and are getting the following
 >> error about once a day and cannot figure out why.  the email address is
 >> valid. Any ideas?

 >As far as the reason for the bounce, it seems the mailer had a temporary
 >problem handling mail for a good address, which is unfortunately not that
 >unusual.

 >>   1 07/19 07/19 John Gayer <[log in to unmask]>
 >>                 Last error: 5.1.1 Mailer [64.49.220.152] said: "550 5.7.1
 >>                           Unable to relay for [log in to unmask]"

If you are NOT getting alot of bounces on your list, then for diagnostic
purposes, assuming that the WHATHELPS. folks don't have any further
insights, then temporary turn OFF the AUTO-DEL processing so that you can
"see"  the full bounced e-mail.

I suspect that this kind of mail is an "after hours" kind of bounce e.g.,
some maintenance is taking place on the end-user's email system that
inhibits his mail account from being confirmed as valid.

/Pete