Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 19:11:26 -0400
>Brad's right, words are just symbols.  However, I do take issue with
>the 2nd sentence above.  The Internet isn't just for adults any
>more!  Solutions?  I don't have any.  I won't be surprised if they
>come up with an 'adults only' section of the Internet sometime but
>all it takes is one leak in the structure and it won't help.  The
>library metaphor is often used but at least the librarian will see
>the books you check out.  In cyberspace, the person that might look
>over your shoulder is probably in another state.

(The American Library Association, just for the record, is four square
against censorship of any kind, including for children -- and,
theoretically at least, no child can be refused a book on the basis of age.
Only the child's parents, ideally, are allowed to determine what their
child can or cannot read -- it is not the role of the library to act in
loco parentis.  The librarian is, however, likely to try to steer the child
to more suitable reading matter ...)

Joe Moore brings up a very valid point, however, and one with which we, the
listowners of ARCANA, are grappling even now.  Indulge me, if you would be
so kind, as I bring this matter before you for your thoughts, expressed or
private: who knows, for some of you, the question may become quite
relevant.

Our list is an academic discussion group about the occult in all its
aspects.  Although we do have a good many true believers, Wiccan
practitioners, and the like, this is NOT the place to go to swap "how I
sacrificed a virgin to the Horned One at the last full moon" stories.
Scholarship, in other words, not posturing would-be magic users playing
"I'm a badder mage than you are" games.  We keep subscription private (i.e.
no automatic listserv additions, and listserv rejects postings received
from non-subscriber addresses) to make sure we have some measure of control
over this.  We also ask that would-be listmembers submit a brief profile
before we add them -- again, some measure of control, and a way to
discourage those who are not seriously interested or who assume we're into
role playing.

However, with commercial services like Prodigy hooking up to the Internet,
we are now faced with the possibility of getting teenagers and even younger
people.  And, indeed, one has now applied ... A high school student, exact
age unknown.

Like sex, the occult is a dicy topic in many circles.  (No doubt many of
you have encountered stories about people trying to bar books like The
Wizard of Oz from the public library because these promote witchcraft and
hence Satanism.)  Some of you who are running lists similarly more, shall
we say, aimed at adults might share with us some reservations about the
consequences of allowing minors to subscribe.

Our, i.e. the listowners', point of view is that adults have, presumably,
learned the art of critical thinking and common sense.  They will have
*some* chance, at least, of recognizing intellectual twaddle when they see
it.  They will also have the sense to ignore, or report, off-list
harrassment, or solicitations to join this or that off the wall group of
loonies.

What, however, about the youngsters?  Would they spot a con as readily?
Know what to do should the loonie fringe make direct contact?  Bring common
sense to bear on seemingly authoritative twaddle?

What would the legal and moral position of listowners be should minors end
up in trouble as a direct or indirect result of list activity, or of
off-list messages from people who got their addresses from the list?  What
sort of trouble could parental wrath get the listowners into?  What
difference would our having no way of knowing the age of the subscriber
make?  To what extent are listowners (or, for that matter, the site where
the list is hosted) responsible?

Mind you, we are NOT here talking about censorship, about deliberately
denying access to information on the basis of age.  We also assume (hope!)
that peer pressure and the general scholarly tone of our list will keep
those who are NOT accustomed to academic discourse from disrupting the list
with immature levels of posting or behaviour.  We ARE talking about legal
consequences, moral responsibilities, and potential problems.

Anybody out there encounter the same sort of problem or have reason to
anticipate it?  Any thoughts on the matter?

Mario Rups
co-listowner, ARCANA
[log in to unmask] (but speaking for my fellow listowners, NOT for @brook)