Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 15:44:05 +0200
On Mon, 14 Sep 1992 08:08:06 EST Kathryn Wright <LIBKAT@INDST> said:

>Eric,  I believe  you said  once  before that  you had  no objection  to
>Listserv being rewritten for other platforms  as long as you didn't have
>to do it. Would that go also for porting it to the Internet/NREN?

I'm not Apple, I don't sue people  for trying to make software that looks
like mine  - at least  not as long  as they make  it clear it  isn't *my*
software but rather something that just looks like it.

>It's  hard  for me  to  imagine  NREN  hosting  forums without  a  fully
>empowered, real Listserv, although newsgroups might be a possibility.

LISTSERV, like VM or VMS,  is "ancient/obsolete" technology. The Internet
folks are  only interested in  "modern" technology. "Modern"  means "unix
feel" (unix is  actually a very old operating system,  and it has changed
less in the last 5-10 years than VM or VMS, hence the quotes). News, WAIS
and the like  are "modern" and will  be the "strategic" tools  to be used
for such  things. Of course nobody  will prevent anyone from  using other
tools, as long as they find the time to develop them.

  Eric