Bill Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:36:54 -0230
I am list owner of a list distributed from a remote site (I am at
mun.ca, the list is distributed from West Virginia).   Until now,
distribution has been from a VM server.   For a variety of reasons, it
is being moved to a UNIX server.   The local administrator has moved the
list, including all the files.   We are having problems accessing the
files.   The admin person can;   but I can't.   We are currently both
listed in the headers as Owner;   I've reset my password, in case that
didn't get transferred.    But the unix system will not allow me access
to the files.

I can do the following:

    get listname.catalog

I can make changes to the catalog, and replace it  with put
listname.catalog.

When I then try to upload the new file (by putting "put
filename.filetype listname.catalog" at the top of the file), I get the
message "You are not authorized to update file "FILENAME FILETYPE".
And if I try to retrieve a file whose catalog entry I modified slightly,
I get the same message.   Moreover, if I try to use "give
filename.filetype user@domain" to send a file whose catalog entry I have
modified to someone, I get the message "You are not authorized to access
file "filename filetype".   These files have GET permission set to PRV,
and PUT permission set to OWN.

Can anyone see what we're doing wrong?

Bill Schipper