Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:21:30 EST
On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:21:48 -0600 you said:
>I recently (last fall) set up listservs to allow faculty and staff at the
>U of I College of Medicine in Rockford to communicate with our three
>classes of medical students.  Everything was going fine until winter
>break, when all of the students started receiving messages that they
>needed to renew their subscriptions to these moderated listservs.  The
>Dean at the COM here wants me, as one of the list owners, to change these
>listservs so that they do not come up for renewal again.  (Each listserv
>should run for three years - the time each class of students is here in
>Rockford.)  I looked in the listserv owner's manual and followed the
>instructions to erase the "Renewal" line from the header.  This did not
>work.  I have sent messages to people at UIC, but still have not resolved
>this problem.  Has anyone on this list removed the renewal line from the
>header?  Can you help me?  Thanks in advance.

Removing  the "Renewal"  keyword  only prevents  new  subscribers from  being
subject to annual renewals. For  existing subscribers, you need to explicitly
change their  renewal options by  issing a  command in the  following format:

  QUIET SET listname NORENEW FOR * PW=xxxx

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.