Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Jun 2016 16:33:13 -0500
Going back to your initial statement of requirements:

> We would like to have a particular important user be able to post to a
> moderated list but NOT be moderator and also not receive messages from the
> list.  I read Editor functions and that is not quite it because we still
> want existing moderator to to approve non subscriber messages.

One thing is not quite clear about this "important user": Do you want this
person to be able to post WITHOUT needing moderator approval? or, as a "non
subscriber," to require moderator approval?

Anyone who has Editor status (whether subscribed to the list or not) may
post freely--that is, without moderator approval. So if you want this
particular user to be moderated, he or she should not be an Editor.

But if you want this user to be able to post freely, Editor status is not
the only approach. If subscribers can post freely, then you could subscribe
this person but set the NOMAIL option, so he or she is not sent copies of
the list email. As someone else mentioned, it's useful in that case to set
the ACK option as well; it causes the server to report when the NOMAILed
subscriber's messages are distributed. (People who aren't receiving copies
of their own posts very often want the reassurance that they got through.)

I know "Editor" sounds a lot like "Moderator," but they are very different
things as far as Listserv is concerned.

Hal Keen