"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 06:06:27 CST
>I am listowner of a fairly small (250), but extremely active (approximately 50
>messages per day) list.  I use a method devised by Larry Jewell, listowenr of

I'm always amazed by the varying opinions on what "active" means.  If WORDS-L
dropped to 50 messages any one day, we would all assume that the LISTSERV was
stuck.  I had to change the daily threshold from 200 to 300 a while back
because I was tired of sending the 'free' command.  (That was an unusual
time period, though.  The average is less than 200 a day.)

> to the list phone book.  They are told that, if their mail starts to bounce, I
> shall notify them by telephone.  If I don't have a telephone number to call,

This could get pretty expensive if you have very many address problems
with subscribers in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.  I find bounced mail
from Taiwan at least once a week.  I also get a fair number of bounces
from London.  And some from South America.  I'm willing to give my time
to running lists, but I'm afraid that running up my phone bill on these
mechanical list matters would force me to have to choose between continuing
as listowner or feeding my dog.  I love my lists, but...
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])