Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:37:12 -0500
Francoise wrote:

>On 27 Mar 98 at 17:41, Francoise Becker wrote:
>
>> If you are worried that one of the people who failed a probe
>> shouldn't get deleted, send them some e-mail and see if your mail to
>> them bounces, and if so for what reason.
>
>I would add that I was worried with my own list, and used to
>double-check every time someone got deleted with a probe failure.
>With only one exception (out of maybe 20 that got auto-deleted?), the
>addresses that were getting deleted really were no longer valid. The
>one exception had been having server problems but was back. Now I
>just wait for them to ask me why they're no longer getting the list
>mail -- but I haven't had one ask me that yet.
>
>Francoise

Be careful here.  I've had subscribers domins which seem to sporadically bounce
e-mail for no particular reason on successive attempts over a short period
of time when I know darn well their address exists.  In fact, I've had
such troubles with at least two of the people on my list.  Something along
the lines of:

Unknown user:  [log in to unmask]

Thats not quite accurate but close enough.  Needless to say, the people
really did still exist at those addresses, but listserv wasn't the only
thing bouncing mail from those addresses.  Initially, the first several
attempts at communication bounced as well, but all such problems I've had
have been temporary....I guess teh word the errors occasionally use is
"transient".

Glenn