Tue, 18 Jul 1995 01:51:59 -0500
> But I cannot setup the AFD subscriptions to such a file, as I understand
> it; only the person themselves, or their own postmaster, can setup an AFD
> subscription.  Is that right?  Why is that?
>
> What is the difference conceptually between someone subscribing to my
> list or subscribing to my file?  They seem similar to me.  Is there some
> historical precedent or problem here?

I went through these same questions a while ago, so here is my feeble
answer.

As listowner you can define the generic files in your filelist for
AFD and FUI, you can check to see who has a subscription, but you
cannot add nor delete anyone.  The adds will be done by the subscribers
(if you want it, I wrote a file on it for our subscribers.  Feel free
to modify it for your list.
It's  AFD DOC   at [log in to unmask])
and deletes for bounced mail will be taken care of by the postmaster/
maintainer or his/her minions.

If I still had Eric's explanations to me about it I would send them, but I
don't, so here is a rough synopsis.  The part of LISTSERV that runs your
list, over which you have control, and the part of LISTSERV which runs
AFD/FUI are totally separate.  The only connection is what you put in
your filelist.  This means that all you can do for your subscribers is to
check to see if they have AFD/FUI subs by getting the entire list of
subscribers.  But this will only work if you are listed in the FAC as
owner of the file(s) in question (you have PUT authority).  If you don't
have that the person who does have the authority will have to do it if
you want it done.  Far simpler to tell people how to check on their
AFD/FUI subs themselves, since you can't do anything regardless of what
you find.  Is that sufficiently opaque?  ;-)     Douglas

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L