"Michael I. Starr" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Jul 1995 14:17:00 -0400
Below is a message I received from Gerald Anderson, whose address was one
of those involved in the rash of subscriptions.

Michael I. Starr                        Jewish Theological Seminary of America
Manager, Computer Operations            3080 Broadway
[log in to unmask]                        New York, NY 10027
(212) 678-8901                          (212) 678-8002 (fax)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 1995 11:12:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gerald D. Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Activity with JTS Listserv

Mr. Starr,

  I know you have already spoken to Allen Gwinn on this issue, however I
just wanted to offer my personal apology for what happened.  I am Mr.
Anderson and I did not generate those request.  They were the means of an
attack from another party on the net.  When I started receiving the
request I modified my DNS information in the hopes that your LISTSERVs
would kill the request when it received the bounces.  I run mailing lists
as well and I know that this is a very undesirably situation, however
forwarding the thousands of request to harvey over his 28.8 route was not
much of an option.  Once again, I'm sorry you were also the target of
whoever pulled this stunt, and thank you for any information you have on
whoever originated the request.

Gerald D. Anderson

On Sun, 9 Jul 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 09 Jul 1995 08:15:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From:[log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Activity with JTS Listserv
>
> Over the past day or so,  our Listserv received requests to REV and/or
> JOIN every list (or almost every list) we maintain from the addresses:

> When it attempted to reply, no such hosts were found.  Further the name
> given to the gander address was not Gerald Anderson but 'Mr. Rok'.  While
> I am sure you have legitimate interest in our many lists here  at JTS, I
> would greatly appreciate an explanation for this unusual activity.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter.

> Michael I. Starr                      Jewish Theological Seminary of America
> Manager, Computer Operations          3080 Broadway
> [log in to unmask]                      New York, NY 10027
> (212) 678-8901                                (212) 678-8002 (fax)

Gerald D. Anderson
Assistant Director, Computing Services
Edwin L. Cox School of Business
Southern Methodist University

****  This message represents the opinions of Gerald D. Anderson and unless
explicitly stated does not represent the opinions of my colleagues or the
policies of Southern Methodist University.

STOP The Obscene Communications Decency Act!  A Constitutional Right is a
        terrible thing to waste.