"Michael S. Goldstein" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:39:46 +0000
On 21 Feb 96 at 2:55, Paul Vess wrote:

> For you...
>
> *---------------------- Original message follows -----------------------*
>
> Greetings,
>         I would also like to request information from anyone who are using
> LSoft's ListServ software as well.  I am gathering information on what is
> required to setup a web site server, independent of an ISP.   Several
> non-profit companies are interested in finding out the expense of setting up a
> independent web site with it's own domain name, and wish to know about the
> steps,i.e., software, hardware and misc utils and equipment, needed to do so.
> The premise is that in the long-run it will be cheaper to invest in the needed
> items up front, rather than pay an ISP for space and later have to bite the
> bullet.  I volunteered (a very bad habit of mine...:-), to check around and
> find out what I could.  Any assistance in the area of tips and suggestions
> would be sincerely appreciated.  Please respond directly to
> [log in to unmask] Thanks in advance, Paul Vess

Paul,

My name is Michael Goldstein and I work for L-Soft international and we license
LISTSERV.
Enclosed is the information requested for the LISTSERV for NT version and
pricing for a graduated (point) license which includes, maintenance (support,
fixes and upgrades) on a yearly fee basis.

We also have an unlimited capacity license which gives you the ability to run
an unlimited number of lists and subscribers.

If you would let me know approximately how many list and subscribers you are
expecting to run, I can help you specifically with pricing and how we could
efficiently set up your list(s).

I will speak to you soon,
Michael S. Goldstein

******* General information about LISTSERV(TM) for Windows NT(TM) *******

             Copyright 1994,1995 L-Soft international, Inc.
                            November 8, 1995

The  original (Eric  Thomas) LISTSERV(TM)  is now  available for  Windows
NT(TM) for use with the TCP/IP protocol stack. The Windows NT(TM) version
of  LISTSERV(TM) comes  with  the rich  feature set  that  made the  word
"LISTSERV" (the name  of our original product, introduced in  1986 on the
BITNET  network) as  commonplace on  the Internet  as "Xerox"  is at  the
office. The Windows NT(TM) version has the same level of functionality as
the other workstation versions for unix(R)  and VMS(TM). In fact, this is
the version  that we are using  ourselves to implement our  EASE(SM) list
hosting service.

to  the general  public,  optimizing  bulk delivery,  and  so forth.  The
product,   originally  available   only   for   IBM(R)  mainframes,   was
continuously  improved over  the years,  and quickly  defined a  de facto
standard for  the management  of electronic  mailing lists.  Later, other
mailing  list  managers  started  to  appear.  Because  LISTSERV  was  so
prevalent, some  people unwittingly borrowed  the name to refer  to these
other programs, which  had no association with the  original product. The
"LISTSERV" we are  discussing in this document, however,  is the original
one.

L-Soft's LISTSERV(TM) product for Windows NT(TM) is a genuine port of the
original Eric Thomas LISTSERV. It is based on the same source code as the
current version  of the mainframe  LISTSERV, with  of course a  number of
changes  and  additions  to  make  it  work  under  Windows  NT(TM).  The
development and porting effort are overseen by the author of the original
LISTSERV(TM), who still  writes most of the  system-independent code. The
degree of compatibility  with the mainframe LISTSERV(TM) is  such that it
may be very difficult for a typical  end user to tell whether he is using
the mainframe or Windows NT(TM) version of LISTSERV(TM).

To date,  99% of the  mailing list functions and  about half of  the file
server functions of the original LISTSERV(TM) have been ported to Windows
NT(TM).  The  more  sophisticated  file  maintenance  functions  and  the
database  functions should  be ported  by  1Q96. The  current version  of
LISTSERV(TM) for  Windows NT(TM)  is already significantly  more powerful
than the other list managers available today, commercially or otherwise.

*************************
* LISTSERV(TM) in short *
*************************

- 7,500 public lists.

- 14,500 local lists.

- Total 22,000 lists with a combined membership of 2,830,000.

- 10 to 12 million messages delivered every day (weekdays' average).

- 112,000 lines of code (Windows NT(TM) version).

- 49 list configuration keywords, of which only  1 is required to start a
  list.

- Over 9 years of field experience.

- A product designed for ease of use by non-technical users, while at the
  same time accomodating the needs of computer experts.

- A  fully distributed  service  for maximal  efficiency,  with a  single
  system view for the end user's convenience - any list can be queried or
  accessed from any LISTSERV(TM) site, regardless of where it is actually
  located.

- The product  that invented the  "LISTSERV" concepts and defined  the de
  facto standard for mailing list management.

Note: all figures in this section as of October, 1995.

**************************
* Technical requirements *
**************************

LISTSERV(TM) requires version 3.5 or higher of Windows NT(TM) Workstation
or  Server  and about  a  dozen  megabytes  of  disk space.  The  minimum
configuration is a 486 (any model) with 16M of RAM. LISTSERV(TM) requires
very little  CPU time, but  will benefit greatly from  additional memory.
Depending  on  your  workload  and  on  the  other  activity  on  the  PC
(printer/file sharing, etc), 20-32M are recommended,  or up to 48M if you
plan  to run  very large  lists (30-100,000  subscribers or  more). While
LISTSERV(TM) does of  course run faster on faster processors,  a fast CPU
is  not necessary  for good  performance as  the network  is usually  the
limiting factor.

*************************
* LISTSERV(TM) tutorial *
*************************

A LISTSERV(TM) tutorial  for non-technical users is  available by sending
mail to [log in to unmask] with:

                             GET NSC93US.PS

in  the message  body (European  users should  substitute NSC93A4.PS).  A
plain text version is also available as NSC93.MEMO.

************************
* Free evaluation kits *
************************

To make it possible for you to try all the features on site before making
a purchase  decision, we are  making free  evaluation copies of  the code
available via anonymous FTP (connect to FTP.LSOFT.COM, then CD LISTSERV).
The evaluation copies are fully  functional; the only difference with the
production code  is that  they have  a capacity  limit and  an expiration
date. The  evaluation kits currently  have to be installed  manually, but
there will be an installation program in the released version.

***********
* Pricing *
***********

Four licensing  options are available  for the Windows NT(TM)  version of
LISTSERV(TM):  our  two  "traditional"  licensing schemes,  and  two  new
license  types  specially targeted  at  the  PC market.  The  traditional
options ("graduated" and "unlimited" licenses) are best suited for public
lists such as newsletters, product support  lists, and in general for any
application with a  well-defined number of lists  and/or with significant
external participation. The new "workgroup"  licenses, on the other hand,
are ideal for the  typical office setup where the software  is to be used
for  internal administrative  purposes such  as task  force coordination,
meetings,  internal  announcements,  planning,   etc.  Finally,  the  new
"limited"  licenses  provide an  alternative  to  graduated licenses  for
customers who  do not wish  to purchase maintenance or  technical support
from us. Here is how the four types of licenses work:

- The "workgroup"  license is a  traditional "n-user" license  which lets
  you create as many lists as you want, provided that the total number of
  users does not  exceed the capacity you are paying  for. These licenses
  are for  perpetual use and come  with a 90 day  warranty period, during
  which  you  can  access  our  support  hotline  and  receive  fixes  or
  assistance  for free.  Upgrades will  be  offered as  new versions  are
  released, and of course you can  upgrade the capacity (number of users)
  at any time.

- The "limited" license is similar  to the workgroup license, except that
  you pay by  the list, rather than  by the user. You  purchase a certain
  license capacity,  expressed in  "license points".  Each list  that you
  create  requires  from 1  to  5  points,  depending  on the  number  of
  subscribers  (see the  point  table  below). Once  you  have reached  5
  points, you can  continue adding as many subscribers as  you want at no
  additional cost. Like the workgroup license, the limited license is for
  perpetual use, and comes with 90 days of warranty. You can purchase new
  version upgrades as they are released, and upgrade your capacity at any
  time.

- The  "graduated" licenses  are  mainly targeted  at computing  centres,
  Internet service  providers, and  in other organizations  that consider
  maintenance and support  a crucial component of  any software solution.
  For  a  fixed  yearly  payment, graduated  licenses  bundle  a  limited
  capacity  license (based  on  the  same point  scale  as the  "limited"
  licenses), free access to new versions, and full support (bug fixes and
  technical  assistance).  This  simplifies budgeting  while  giving  you
  immediate access to  all new version upgrades. Naturally,  you can also
  upgrade your capacity (number of points) as your needs increase.

- Finally, the "unlimited" licenses are  totally unlimited in both number
  of lists and number of subscribers.  With an unlimited license, you can
  create  hundreds of  lists serving  tens of  thousands of  subscribers.
  Unlimited licenses are, of course,  more expensive. Note that our tests
  have shown  that a high-end PC  system can indeed support  this kind of
  workload.  LISTSERV(TM)  is  extremely   cost  effective  in  terms  of
  resources, coming from a mainframe  environment where every hour of CPU
  time costs hundreds  or even thousands of dollars, and  can handle tens
  of thousands of  subscribers on a typical NT server  system with 32M of
  RAM.

Point table for limited and graduated licenses

  Subscribers        Points
  -----------        ------
      0-150             1
    151-300             2
    301-500             3
    501-1000            4
   1001-                5

Price list - WORKGROUP licenses
-------------------------------

Prices for the workgroup licenses are still being finalized. Please write
to [log in to unmask] for a price quotation.

Price list - LIMITED licenses
-----------------------------

The  one-time charges  for  a  perpetual license,  including  90 days  of
warranty (free  access to the  support hotline and  to bug fixes)  are as
follows:

                                    Corporate        Academic
                                    ---------        --------
Intel(R):                          $200.00/pt      $145.00/pt

The minimum amount  of points you can  license is 5. Thus, you  can run 5
lists of up to 150 subscribers (each) for as little as $1,000 (corporate)
or $725 (academic).

Price list - GRADUATED licenses
-------------------------------

The yearly prices for license + new version + maintenance are as follows:

                                    Corporate        Academic
                                    ---------        --------
Intel(R):                          $125.00/pt      $100.00/pt

The minimum amount  of points you can  license is 5. Thus, you  can run 5
lists  of  up to  150  subscribers  (each)  for  as little  as  $625/year
(corporate) or $500/year (academic).

For more information
--------------------

If  you need  a binding  price quotation  or more  information about  our
products and licensing terms, simply  write to [log in to unmask] or call us
at +1 (301) 731-0440.

**************************************
* LISTSERV(TM) vs competing products *
**************************************

Before considering the  purchase of a competing product, you  may want to
quickly run through the following checklist:

O  How did  the competing  product compare to  LISTSERV(TM) in  your home
   environment, in terms of ease  of installation, ease of use, features,
   and performance?

O  How did your non-technical users  react to the product? A user-hostile
   product can be very expensive in helpdesk calls.

O  If you  have non-technical list owners,  were they able to  manage the
   list  from their  home  computer  or workstation?  Did  they find  the
   product easy to use?

O  Is the competing product being actively maintained and improved?

O  If it  is a commercial unix(R)  product, what kind of  maintenance and
   support are  you going to  receive? Check your contract  carefully: it
   should  have  explicit  provisions  for maintenance  (possibly  at  an
   additional charge), or at least  a one-year warranty if no maintenance
   is provided. If you have neither warranty nor maintenance, you should,
   at the very least, receive full and up to date source code so that you
   can fix problems  yourself, and not end up with  a "black box". L-Soft
   does, of course, provide maintenance for its products.

O  If  it is  a free  product, how  quickly can  you get  a fix  from the
   author?

O  What innovations,  if any, did the  product introduce in the  field of
   list management? How successful have these innovations been? A product
   that merely copies the function provided by other products is bound to
   be chronically outdated and to put you at a disadvantage.

O  What  are the  plans  for  the product's  future?  Do  they meet  your
   strategic goals? Do they require  you to eventually abandon VMS(TM) to
   migrate to unix(R)? Does the author or vendor generally listen to user
   requirements, deliver new function as promised, and meet deadlines?

Once you have answered all these questions, you will have to ask yourself
which product  you feel  most comfortable  investing costly  manpower and
user/helpdesk training in. Switching your user base from one list manager
to another can cost a lot  in retraining, and becomes more expensive with
time. Thus,  if you  have to  switch, it  is best  to do  so as  early as
possible, while the users haven't cast their habits in stone. The license
costs become immaterial when you have a  large amount of users. If a list
manager can  make each user  save but  5 minutes a  month, or one  hour a
year, you only need a few hundred users to recover the license costs. And
a good list  manager should make users  save a lot more than  5 minutes a
month.

All prices are  in US dollars and  exclusive of sales or  other tax. This
document does not constitute a price  quotation and all prices, terms and
conditions are subject to change without notice. Write to [log in to unmask]
for a binding price quotation.

L-Soft international, Inc. does not endorse  or approve the use of any of
the product names or trademarks appearing in this document.

EASE is a service mark of L-Soft international.

L-SOFT and LISTSERV are trademarks of L-Soft international.

Unix is a registered trademark of UNIX Systems Laboratories, Inc.

VMS is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.

Windows and Windows NT are trademarks of Microsoft corporation.

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.

Xerox is a registered trademark of Xerox Corporation.

All other trademarks, both marked and not marked, are the property of
their respective owners.
Michael S. Goldstein               Sales & Marketing
L-Soft international, Inc.         Ph:  301-731-0440
8401 Corporate Dr. Suite 380       Fax: 301-731-6302
Landover, MD 20785                 E-mail [log in to unmask]
URL:http://www.lsoft.com