Wed, 27 Oct 1993 15:38:40 -0500
Recently I have noticed quite a few blatantly commercial postings on
some lists.  My understanding was that this was strictly forbidden.
Does anyone know, or know how I can get, the "official" word on
this for both the Internet and BITNET (CERN, EARN, etc.)?

After my sig is an item I received yesterday which relates to this.
Personally, I find it highly disturbing.  Comments and discussion
would be appreciated.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]

---------- Text of forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 22:14:59 EDT
From: Strangelove Press <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: How to Advertise on the Internet

From the publisher of The Internet Business Journal

How to Advertise on the Internet:
An Introduction to Internet-Facilitated Marketing

The editors of The Internet Business Journal bring together,
for the first time in print, all of the best industry secrets about how
to advertise to twenty million Internet users -- for free.

o How to write effective press releases and advertisements for electronic
    mail messages
o Identifying appropriate forums (lists and newsgroups) to post
o How to gather mail addresses of Internet users for direct marketing
o Strategies for creating a corporate Internet presence
o Using electronic mail signatures as advertisements
o Attracting the attention of the mass media
o Understanding the culture of the Internet
o Ten golden rules of Internet marketing
o Electronic mail billing options
o Internet advertising services
o Indirect (passive) advertising methods
o Giving back to the Internet community
o How to create your own animated graphics for electronic
    mail business acards
o And much more:
    get the complete introduction to effective Internet advertising

How to Advertise on the Internet is an easy-to-read,
step-by-step guide to the hottest advertising phenomenon
this century -- don't wait until your competition forces you to find
out how to use the Internet as a marketing tool.

Price:

$20.00 (US)
$25.00 (CND)
$30.00 (overseas)

Publication Date: December 1, 1993
Satisfaction guaranteed or money refunded (less s&h)
Prepaid orders only

Please make cheque payable to Strangelove Press,
60 Springfield Road, Ottawa, Ontario,
CANADA, K1M 1C7
Tel: (613) 747-6106 / FAX: (613) 564-6641